Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Black.White.Stupid

This nights entry is about the new 'social experiment' by rapper/actor/director/producer Ice Cube. Let me start this off with the one statement of truth that you would have suspected had I not said it in the first place. I haven't actually watched the show. So, you say, what do I have to say about a show I have not seen? Simply this. I will not watch a show that is in anyway associated with Ice Cube. For the same reason I wouldn't watch a show on race produced and directed by, shall we say, David Duke, I believe his views to be one sided and his motives questionable. For whatever reason, the media lends credit to his controversy and gives him air time in prime time. Sure he's done two (count 'em, two) successful movie series. He's made lots of music. He's a hell of a lot richer than i'll ever be. But none of this removes him from his roots. For example....

Word, but who the *uck has heard?
It's time to take a trip to the suburbs
Let em see a *igga invasion
Point blank for the Caucasian (reprinted w/o permission)

Does this sound like someone who should be on TV? The only people he seems to hate more than white ones are other black ones who don't subscribe to his particular coast of rap style. How we ever came to legitimize a style of "music" so steeped in civil disobedience, self-pity, disrespect for authority and general hatred is beyond me. Can you see a radio station airing a country group singing about going to the hood to blow away some nice black folk? But that's another rant for another day. My point is, that this is simply the wrong guy to be the face of racial understanding. Go to his website...he's handing out guns! His show will go down as simple entertainment that should have never been aired in the first place. Sadly, as previously discussed, racial harmony and diversity don't sell headlines and TV commercials, controversy does. I'll put this show in the same place as Wifeswap, The Bachelor and other "reality" crap. Put on 'Everybody Hates Chris' instead. Now THAT show was funny and worth watching.

Now, for those of you who will acuse me of bigotry, racism and other various crimes, let us sample one more bit of Ice Cube's "music." This from a more recent piece.

But you still in for some danger
And when i'm thru, I take your *itch and finger bang her
But if she looks tossed up, i'll slang her
Beat you like mama dearest with a clothes hanger

Now, if the basis of hip hop and rap is "keeping it real," (to maintain street cred), I fail to see the point of having it in the main stream. If this is what the kids want, it's no wonder we're in trouble. Call me Tipper if you want, but 99% of country, rock, pop, etc is not full of hatred, curse words, racial epitaphs and the general debasement of women. 99% of rap and a good chunk of hip hop is. 'Nuff said.

No comments: