Sunday, January 27, 2008

How Dumb Are We??? Part 1

All right...so I get that we should have a warning label on cigarettes. After all, when several laboratory rats were given enough nicotine to get an elephant high a few of them developed cancer. We also have to have a warning label on coffee cups so that when some imbecile decides to drive around with a hot cup between his or her legs they can't sue the vendor when they burn themselves. And naturally, all poisons need to have that big ominous skull and crossbones to let you know that this item could KILL you. So why is it that a U.S. consumer advocate group has to try so hard to get a "black box" warning label on Botox injection treatments?
Warning: instructive content ahead! Botox is a trade name for Botulinum toxin A which is a neurotoxin designed to block signals to muscles so they won't contract. Fine for getting rid of wrinkles but highly deadly if it spreads beyond your face. Generally, when things go horribly wrong, it will spread to the neck and chest and cause respiratory distress. So far, 16 people have died due to complications from Botox injections. Four of them were under the age of 18. Is it worth it?
Now I have to say that there are some medical conditions that are bettered by Botox injections. However, the vast majority of the injections are for vanity. People don't get Botox by accident, they sign up and pay for it. Over and over again. There should not be any doubt that this is dangerous. If I were a doctor dispensing these injections I think step one would be to have the customer sign a consent form after having read a disclaimer on the dangers of putting POISON in your face! The consumer group wants to have boldface blackbox warnings on the boxes that it comes in but I hesitate to say that it is not nearly enough. The customer probably never sees the box anyways and the doctor should already be well aware of the dangers. A better idea might be to put warning labels in magazine advertisements. That way people understand from the start. As for me, do I really care about the 16 poor souls who died from this treatment? Not really, but don't think me callous. Far more people die from doctors mistakes and automobile accidents. After all, I'm a 40 something guy with a beer gut and no illusions about where my face is going. For me, the wrinkles on my face are badges of honor for where I've been and what I've done and seen. Women are not the same as men and find these type of vanity treatments necessary as they grow older. Fair warning ladies, what you don't like could kill you.

No comments: